Thursday, February 4, 2010

Worst Joke... EVER

This is a true story... one that I encountered personally, just yesterday afternoon.

I was in my ComD 421 class, AKA "Speech Science" and my teacher was talking about harmonics and formants and all that exciting stuff that only weird people in my major think is interesting. He showed us two spectrograms on the projector screen and the following happened:

Dr. Dromey: "This spectrogram on the top here depicts a healthy person pronouncing the vowel /a/. Now take a look at the spectrogram underneath it. This person had been sick and we had them repeat the same vowel sound with a hoarse voice. Now compare the normal /a/ and the hoarse /a/."

Pathetic student: (raises hand...) "Dr. Dromey? I was just curious... how did you manage to get the horse to talk?"

*Insert MOST AWKWARD SILENCE EVER here.*

Pathetic student: "Hardy har har!"

Dr. Dromey: "Wow. That was a joke."

*And then the other 149 students hung their heads in shame and shifted uncomfortably in their seats until Dr. Dromey covered up the awkwardness beautifully and proceeded with the lecture.*

3 comments:

  1. I was the weird person that thought that stuff was interesting, and therefore probably would have gone and punched that kid in the face!! ;)hehe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. SHOOT... and guess who said pathetic student was?! Yah. Tyler. No lie. You know EXACTLY where I'm coming from! P.S... I miss you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. At first I thought this was a funny the teacher told but it REALLY happened? For reals?

    ReplyDelete