Friday, January 22, 2010

Nine and a Half Fingers...

We had a tickety-tight week over here at the Cornett residence. I'll start from where I left off...

WELL... Saturday was productive. Spencer and I finished all our errands and then went over to his friend Robbie's house for some hard-core home-cooking. Spencer informed me the night before that he had volunteered me to make Frog-eye salad a week earlier. I guess he forgot to tell me about that... hmm. Either way, I made a MEAN batch of frog-eye, large enough to fill a bathtub (well, at least that's what it seemed like). At Robbie's, we ate meat. LOTS of meat. And frog-eye salad to "cleanse the palate." AND... the Colts won. Go Austin Collie.

Sunday, we went to church and got our Spirit on - which is never a bad thing. I went to play piano for choir practice and was presented with some lovely cookies, thanks to Elise. She's cute - she's our chorister and always makes TONS of food to entice people to come to choir. Unfortunately, she doesn't witness much fruit from her labor, and the six of us who usually show up normally end up with our arms OVERFLOWING with goodies. Darn... The week before we had cinnamon rolls. mmmm.

That night, we headed over to Mount Pleasant with Kirstin and James for a fun weekend away from all the noise (AND CABLE TELEVISION). 'Twas glorious. We relaxed, played games, and thoroughly enjoyed each other's company. OH, and we watched Signs. At night. And I got scurred, even though I've seen it before. There's just something about the part when Mel Gibson sticks a knife under the door.... it gives me the heebie-jeebies. asdfklajsdf;klaj

We played a LOT of Giza. James and Spencer were bent on making the game HORRIBLE for the rest of us, so there was some serious backstabbing and spouse-sabotage going on. I won a round. I'm just going to get that out there.

I read another book... and started yet another one. At the request of the elderly stranger I met at the gym, I read:


Despite the guy's potty mouth... I enjoyed it. But not as much as Dan Brown's stuff. Right now I'm reading The Second World War by Winston Churchill. That man was the bomb.com. And Hitler was a BAD bad little man... AND he tried to get into the Vienna School of Art but was rejected. mmhmm. I know, right?!

Monday... HOLIDAY. We stayed in Mount Pleasant.

Tuesday... back to school. Except... what's that? Oh wait, my class was cancelled. Who had a five-day weekend? That's right. I did. But I still went to work for SEVEN long hours.

Wednesday, I had my one class of THIS week. I got a 100% on my project, which pleases me.

Thursday - I had a field trip to the Utah Disability Center in Salt Lake. That place was AMAZING. We saw all sorts of Alternative Augmentative Communication (AAC) devices. There was one called "iTobii" that blew my mind. It was basically a computer... that reads your eyes. No mouse, no keyboard, it calibrates to your EYES. Wherever you look, the icon on the screen follows. AMAZING. Too bad it's $21,000... (we don't need cars, right?) Then we went out to lunch at Paradise Cafe. I'd never heard of it, but DANG. It was good stuff. Get the chicken artichoke panini, I beg you. You'll thank me later, and you're welcome.

THEN... comes Thursday night. It's around 11:00 and I'm like... "Hey Spencer, do you want a sandwich? I can make you a sandwich." Don't ask me WHY I offered to make my husband food at 11:00. I do crazy things. Anyways, there I was minding my own business cutting tomatoes and slicing mozzerella cheese when the STUPID cheese slicer went out of control and pretty much removed a part of my thumb. I was holding the cheese a little weird, but I'm glad that I was because I took a chunk out of the BOTTOM of my finger instead of the top, which would have resulted in the loss-of-fingernail. Gross, I know. Luckily, Spencer is awesome and he forced me to put pressure on it and elevate the darned thing. So we watched some cool show on Discovery about explosives and the Secret Service while I could feel my heartbeat in my thumb and went through several blood-soaked paper towels. Yucky.

THEN, being the genius that I am, I had Spencer bandage said appendage and I went to sleep. I woke up in the morning because it HURT LIKE HECKFIRE. I took one look at my thumb and was like... "I think I should call my mom." The last thing I wanted was an infected, gangrenous thumb, thank-you-very-much. She told me exactly what I DIDN'T want to hear: clean it out with hydrogen peroxide.

Why, for the love of PETE... did I not do that the night before?! Instead, I let my little opposable friend rest over night and now it had started already closing itself back off again. SO, I had to soak my stupid thumb for a while, go to the store to buy hydrogen peroxide, and then spend the entire morning (2 and 1/2 hours to be exact), harassing and abusing the thing until I could open it all back up again, bleed out half the blood in my body, scream bloody murder a couple times, and THEN bandage it up again. Oh, what fun! But mom's right... I'm glad it's clean. (grumble, grumble...)

The good news: I don't use my left thumb when I type.

The bad news: I DO use my left thumb to play the piano (and our choir is performing on Sunday. All six of us, chorister and pianist included). AND... as I discovered this morning, I tend to use my left thumb to button my pants. Ouch.

So here's the moral of the story... use caution when cutting the cheese... HAH!

2 comments:

  1. I'm loving the blog and that you conceded that cleaning your thumb was indeed a GOOD thing to do. Let's just hope that it heals back up without losing the flap. I know, gross!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i'm doing math right now. i think i would rather cut off part of my thumb. but i love you. turn off the tv every once in awhile. football really isn't that great. just saying.

    ReplyDelete