Thursday, July 28, 2011

People are Silly...

So... yeah. The past few weeks have been a LITTLE bit busy to say the least! Spencer and I house-/dog-sat for Kirstin and James while everyone in his family (except for us) went to Lake Chelan for the annual lake trip. Did we miss it? Heck, yes. But there were many reasons why it just didn't work out of for us this year (money, internships, jobs without vacation time, oh... and this little detail where I'm 36 weeks pregnant...). Apparently it was a pretty wild trip. Rigby got to swim for the first time, Chase got engaged to Emily, everyone cried and moped horribly because we weren't there.... okay that last part didn't happen. But I'm glad they had fun!

House sitting was great for a few reasons:
  • Kirstin and James literally live across the street from my hospital so my commute was cut from an hour each way to 5 minutes for a week straight.
  • We got to play with the dogs, and they LOVE anyone who loves them.
  • K and James have TiVo so I was able to watch all the episodes of SYTYCD that I was behind on.
  • And I got a LOT more sleep! I was asleep by 9:30 or 10 every night and was able to sleep in until 7:00. It was glorious.
House sitting was a little hard for a few reasons, too:
  • Kirstin and James' house was infested by mosquitoes and these little black beetles. I think I had at least 10 new bug bites every night. One bit my eyelid--when I woke up on Sunday morning, it was so swollen that I couldn't open it. Hotness.
  • I didn't have to commute every day... but Spencer did. Drat.
  • I didn't know my way around their kitchen or grocery store so cooking and shopping took about twice as long
  • I had to miss Zumba for a couple nights because it was in Provo.... so I did a LOT of walking.
  • My computer was never able to hook up to their internet so I didn't get any work done on my presentation until we came back to our place on Tuesday.
I've decided that people are silly. I looked at by blog stats for the first time in forever this past week and came across an interesting feature. Did you know that you can see the key words people use that end up linking to your blog? Here's a list of the key words hat linked to my blog in the past week:

26 weeks twin blog










meet the cornetts










"definitely an outie"










broken toes










byu belly button ring










mexican girl pregnant were you see her tummy






Really?! Belly button ring? Mexican pregnant girl? TWINS?! I don't even want to know how some of these connections were made. Under referring sites, blogger also showed that someone was linked to my blog by looking up Montel Williams' info page on wikipedia. All I know about Montel Williams is that he used to have a talk show and his "get out of debt now" commercials are as annoying as the devil. But just watch... now that I've mentioned him by name in my blog I'll get lots more random links to him in the future! Like I said, people (and internet servers) are silly.

Speaking of silly, I thought this was funny: My first patient on Monday morning asked me when I was due. When I told her, she said, "But you're so tiny! You can't be that pregnant!" She immediately became my new favorite person and I made sure she knew that. Not 15 minutes later, I saw my second patient of the day. She asked me when I was due, as well. When I told her, she said, "You can't have another month left! You look like you should be in Labor and Delivery right now!" Ha! I'm sure everyone sees my behbeh bump and can't help but compare my size to the size they or those they know were when they were pregnant.

I was also semi-flattered when a female patient's husband (who is a self-proclaimed accurate gender and multiples predictor) said there was no way I was having twins. However, his follow-up statement was, "Yeah. It's definitely not two. It's probably the world's biggest singleton but I can tell it's not two." Hmm...

Here's another gem I heard from a radiology tech. "Are you due pretty soon? You look so uncomfortable!" I responded with, "Actually, I feel great!" Her follow-up was, "Oh. Well, good for you. But you look uncomfortable."

And my ultimate favorite comment to date came from a TOTALLY sweet and typically tactful respiratory therapist that I work with in Neuro trauma:

*Gasp* "Look at your cute swollen feet! Oh my goodness, they look like fat little sausages that were shoved into casings that are too small!"

I'm not even lying. And I'm not paraphrasing AT ALL. That lovely statement made such an impact that it's been permanently imprinted on my brain (and my supervisor's) for the rest of time. After I picked my jaw up off the floor, I rolled up my pants and showed the RT that I did, in fact, have distinct ankles and calves with adequate circulation that day. I'd even joked with my supervisor that morning that I was proud of my skinny feet/ankles! But I think I jinxed myself because I've had horrid cankles ever since :)

Like I said, people are silly. All you can do is laugh :)

Oh, here are two little treasures for you from last week (35 weeks):



I love you all! I'll have my 36-week pictures/update up pretty soon! 'Til next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment