Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Getting My Butt Kicked... and other stuff I've been up to lately

So working out isn't supposed to be easy, right? Let me just say, I'm glad that the first two weeks of my new workout routine are over and I'm still going strong. Whenever I put on those neon green/yellow running shoes and sinfully-bright-blue running shorts my body starts to clench and seize up in retaliation, but alas... I am the task master! I'm whippin' myself into (better) shape, dang it... and no aches or pains or charlie-horses are going to keep me away from my goal. I'm not trying to lose weight, I just want to be better about exercising regularly. And so far, I'm off to a pretty good start... even if I'm kicking my own butt in order to do it.

I am in love with Zumba! There's a cute girl in our Relief Society who is now teaching a class on Saturdays at 10:00. I went for the first time last week and sweated my REAR off... but had a BLAST at the same time. I'm definitely planning on going every Saturday that I can. It beats going for a run all by yourself.

Moving On...

Last week was absolutely AMAZING! My sister is the bomb-diggety. My mom came into town and she, my Grandma Spencer, and I drove up to Rexburg for the weekend to hear Tuck knock our socks off in her Opera Scenes. I'm not a huge opera fan... but I could listen to my little sister ANY time. She was phenomenal. AND, she looked really cute... well, that's before they made her put on a potato sack, trash her hair, and cover her face and teeth in enough black makeup to look like a demented zombie for the Macbeth number. She played one of several witches and she looked demonic, that's for sure. BUT, she was AWESOME once again. I wish I had pictures, but I'm lame. So I don't. So sue me.

We got to meet Tuck's boyfriend, Hugh... and the two of them together get two thumbs WAY up and an enthusiastic sisterly nod-of-approval. "Momma says he's bona fide!"... cool points to all who can name that quote. Hugh got her some awesome roses for her performance... my only complaint was that they made the tulips from mom, grandma and me look pretty second-rate. Oh well, I guess I'll let him win the prettiest flower competition.

Mom and grandma shared a hotel room for the weekend (which meant that Tuck and I reaped the rewards of a fully-loaded continental breakfast), and Tuck and I SHARED her twin size bed. You may laugh, but we were comfortable and I'm not complaining! She's got memory foam, ooh la la! Plus, neither one of us move a muscle in our sleep so we just slept soundly (and snugly) through the night.

Then this past weekend, Tuck and her choir (The Collegiate Singers...(?)) came down here to Salt Lake Cizzle to sing with MoTab for the Music and the Spoken Word Broadcast. Unfortunately, they start dressing young girls in MoTabesque smocks at a young age... but if anyone can look fancy in black velvet, bell-sleeves and paisley-patterned glitter, it's my sister. She got to sing with a sextet of girls and she hit all the high notes. I'm going to post this video and you have to watch her! She's the cute little one, second from the left.

ARGH! I can't get the link to work. Just trust me... she was cute. Maybe you can google it or something.

It was SO neat to see everyone in my entire family that day... minus my dad :( And I mean practically EVERYONE! Both grandmas, aunts, uncles & cousins from both sides, family friends from Hawaii, and ALL my siblings, their spouses, and their cute kids... both living and in embryo. :) It was hard to leave them all, but it was great to spend a little bit of time with them to celebrate Tuck's pure awesomeness. Plus it was pi-day, which necessitated further festivities.

I celebrated pi-day by baking a DELICIOUS cherry pie. I'd show you a picture, but the only one I took was on my phone and the picture's fuzzy. OH, WELL! Imagine Martha Stewart-like aesthetic perfection, with a delicious cherry filling.

Plus I made a Quiche. AND a really yummy soup.

Can I tell you how awesome my husband is, too?! Okay, thanks for the permission. He's the greatest! He's come to the gym a couple of times with me and I got to watch him haul TRASH at an intramural basketball game. His team won by about a jillion points. AND... he's handsome to boot. The other day, I mentioned that I like the "Choose to Give" shirts that people are wearing on campus and he came home from work last night with an extra one just for me. :) Plus, he thinks I'm pretty much the greatest cook ever (I guess I tricked him REALLY well). Finally, he let's me be the big spoon sometimes when we cuddle and I LIKE it! I love me some Spencer, mhmm.

I got accepted to the University of Utah this week. It'll be nice to send THEM a rejection letter (much to my dad's chagrin). The commute and an extra several thousand dollars of tuition every semester don't sound that favorable to me. Besides, I just found out that BYU's going to give me a pretty hefty scholarship for my first year. That means less time at work and more time with my hubby!... oh, and my textbooks. And so BYU it is. HUZZAH!

So life is pretty darn awesome! I love love love my life :)

P.S. I got a 100% on my ComD 421 test. BUT I forgot to wear green for St. Patrick's day... I guess blue must be the new green when it comes to luck... hmm...

4 comments:

  1. That was one great blog full of happiness & joy. Oh yeah, & "Brother, where art thou?" Huzzah! I win!! We really did have a great couple of weeks, didn't we?! I love my kids! USTA!

    ReplyDelete
  2. isn't zumba great?! I LOVE IT! i feel more like i'm just having fun than killing myself working out so I don't watch the clock like I do in my other aerobics classes. CONGRATS on grad school!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lets talk about how I like that you have little pictures on all your blogs. yep and also that i am happy that me and hugh get two thumbs up. also i love you

    ReplyDelete
  4. Here are two words that I sort of made up when it comes to things Mormon:

    MoTents = dresses worn by women in the Mormon Tabernacle Choir

    MoSto = Mormon Standing Ovation. Everybody gets one. If you perform in a public forum in Salt Lake, you will get a MoSto. For some reason, we Salt Lake Cizzle mormons didn't get the memo that standing ovations should be reserved for truly great performances. Guess it's our way of "shoutin' hossannahs 'cause we feel the Holy Spirit" and we can't clap in regular Church.

    ReplyDelete