Thursday, March 4, 2010

Outsmarting the System...

I've been playing this little waiting game with graduate schools lately and I'll be honest... I'm about ready to rip my hair out. Most people turned in their applications around January, seeing as the the darned things were due on February 1st, but I turned mine in in NOVEMBER! I feel like I've been waiting for eleven years. But anyways...

I only applied to BYU and the University of Utah (assuming that the U will let a doorpost into their program) with the hopes that BYU would select me as one of their lucky fifteen newbies out of a gajillion applicants. Spencer won't be done with his undergrad for a few years so I figured my options are kind of limited. Luckily both schools have really good programs! I still haven't heard back from the U (I hear they'll let everyone know around April), but I've had some good news from BYU.

I had my interview with the Graduate Committee on February 18th and I feel as though it went really well. REALLY well. As in, I actually enjoyed myself. And after I stuffed my face with free cookies from the department, I had to do a writing sample... which, although torturous, also went pretty well (I think).

And so, I've been waiting for a yay or nay from both schools ever since. Today, I think I had a breakthrough. (You're probably asking yourself "think? How can you THINK you heard good news?") Well, I'll tell you. I was looking at the Graduate Catalog online to see which courses I would be taking this spring. I'm trying to figure out how much I'll be paying for books because we are POOR and I AM, afterall, an uptight money-pinching tightwad. The good news is: I should only be buying two textbooks. The BETTER than good news is: BYU has my status listed online as "New Graduate Student."

Of course, this got my attention, so I continued to investigate further into my Route Y account. As it turns out, they've also updated my progress report online so that I have a "Graduate Progress Report." And do you know what that progress report says?

It says: ADMITTED FOR SPRING 2010

So yah. I might be in? I think I'm in. I haven't heard anything from BYU officially... but I can read. That's all I have to say.

Yeah!

5 comments:

  1. You made it! I knew you would & I can read between the lines--you're in!!! Way to go Amy!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. GUNG HEI LEIH! What grad program??

    ReplyDelete
  3. ohhh oh oh oHOHOH OH OHOH OH oh my goodness! oh my goodness. oh dear. ahhhhhhh! I'm so proud of you! congratulations! oh heck! ahhh;khdf;kljag;lkjavnoerioia'asdfh; YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Communication Disorders! I'm pretty pumped, I'm not gonna lie :) It's going to be pretty nice to be able to write my name as "Amy Cornett, M.S. CCC-SLP"

    ReplyDelete
  5. Way to go smartie pants!!!! You are brilliant AND a hard worker which is an absolutely magical combination!

    ReplyDelete