Thursday, June 23, 2011

Attack of the internship

So after all the fear and anxiety of beginning my first internship at Intermountain Medical Center, my first week is over and done! And here's the verdict:
I really do love it! I've been trying to psych myself up for this for MONTHS. After reassuring myself over and over again that I AM trained and prepared for this internship, I finally believe it. It's definitely hard and challenging but I'm really enjoying the work, the people, and the atmosphere. After my first week, here are some high (and low) lights:
  • My supervisor is fantastic: she gives me the basics and then throws me to the wolves. She gives fantastic feedback... and best of all, she's FUNNY!
  • Ten and a half hour shifts = cankles.
  • My patients are darling. I can't go into specifics but I think working with (most) geriatric patients is an absolute riot. Not all my patients have been elderly but a lot of them are and so far, they're my favorite!
  • I got to do a complete beside swallowing evaluation... IN CANTONESE. Heck yeah.
  • This comment: "Um, you can't mean that you expect THAT baby to stay in for another two months?"
  • I spilled a spoonful of apple juice on one (very understanding) patient.
  • I saw some very unique cases that my supervisor told me she's NEVER seen the likes of.
  • It's ironic that an explosively pregnant woman has to spend so much time in radiology (don't worry, I double up on the leads and stay the heck out of the x-ray's way).
  • An old man may or may not have tried to kiss me.
  • This comment: "Are you sure you're not having twins? Because I had twins and you're already bigger than I ever was!"
  • I want to make a shirt that says this: Yes, I am. 7 months. August 30th. Boy... because I'm sure I say those four things more than anything else.
  • The IMC cafeteria is delectable. AND cheap.
  • I need to find a temporary wedding ring because mine is tearing my gloves to pieces and is currently covered in the Avagard hand sanitizer I have put on 20 times an hour.
  • I contracted a WICKED cold on day one - I've been trying to battle it with major medications and a TON of sleep--as in, I get home at night and immediately fall asleep (we're talking 8:00/9:00). It's divine but I'll bet Spencer's pretty bored.
  • This conversation with a 23-year old male tech: "Wow, you must be ready to pop any day now."--Me: "Hah, I wish! I still have two more months to go."--Male tech: *squirming* "Oh, I didn't mean 'day,' I just meant that you're really pregnant."--Me: "Thanks?"
  • Barium simply cannot taste good, even if it's "flavored."
  • Stairs are my friend, and in a 14-story hospital I get to hike up lots of them.
  • Commuting isn't really that bad when you only have to do it 3 days a week.
  • An internship that lasts all day is a GREAT way to escape the sweltering 90+ degree summer weather.
  • I really could be happy doing this job for the rest of my life (after the behbehs are old enough to go to school).
  • I survived!
I'd give you a Spencer update but with all my sleeping I haven't seen too much of him this week. He's still working hard, looking good, and taking good care of me.

I was sicker than dog (and swollen from a long day at the hospital) when I took this picture, but here's little man in week THIRTY-ONE!


The three of us love you all! Till next time...

1 comment:

  1. YAY for loving your internship. Don't worry about the baby in x-ray, by this time it won't really do much harm with your lead aprons on. And barium tastes just like you think it does. They made me try it the first time I gave it to a patient...I think those air crystals are way worse.

    ReplyDelete